Beyond the Reach of Time and Change: Native American Reflections on the Frank A. Rinehart Photograph Collection (Sun Tracks #53) (Paperback)
Other Books in Series
This is book number 53 in the Sun Tracks series.
- #21: Woven Stone (Sun Tracks #21) (Paperback): $24.95
- #28: After and Before the Lightning (Sun Tracks #28) (Paperback): $17.95
- #35: Speaking for the Generations: Native Writers on Writing (Sun Tracks #35) (Paperback): $19.95
- #37: Men on the Moon: Collected Short Stories (Sun Tracks #37) (Paperback): $19.95
- #42: from Sand Creek (Sun Tracks #42) (Paperback): $12.95
- #49: Out There Somewhere (Sun Tracks #49) (Paperback): $17.95
This book provides an unusual perspective on the Rinehart collection. It features one hundred outstanding images printed from the original negatives made by Rinehart and Muhr at the Congress and over the course of the next two years. It also includes 14 essays by modern Native American writers, artists, and educators—some of them descendants of the individuals photographed—reflecting on the place of these images in their heritage.
Beyond the Reach of Time and Change is not another coffee-table book of historical Indian photographs but rather a conversation between Indian people of a century ago and today. Just as the Rinehart collection offers today's Native Americans a unique connection to the past, this book offers all readers a positive understanding of continuity and endurance within the American Indian community.
About the Author
Poet, fiction writer, essayist, and storyteller Simon Ortiz is a native of Acoma Pueblo and is the author of numerous books.